Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

Today is the anniversary of a day that holds some wonderful memories for me. Every year on Christmas morning, I would smell bacon & Livermush (and other breakfast delights) being cooked in the kitchen of my grandparent's house. I would hear a "HO HO HO" or two from my Dad and the night before was the night where my brother & I could not go to sleep no matter how hard we tried. I imagine it was in the 15 minutes or so that we did go to sleep that Santa visited b/c we'd take turns going out to the living room to find out if Santa had visited. NOPE. Finally we'd see the tremendous amounts of treasures Santa brought. Some of my favorite gifts over the years were a Cabbage Patch Doll, a grey monkey that I named Jacho, a doll house, and a baby doll that I just loved. I believe I still have Jacho & that baby doll in the closet. I carried Jacho everywhere and until this moment I never even thought that Jacho might need to have a spelling. :o)

Of course my favorite gift ever in my whole life came from my Grandparents. Those of you that know me .. know that the Tarheels rule. They rock my world. Well in 1993, my grandparents gave me a signed T-shirt from the UNC basketball team (the 1993 championship team no less with Eric Montross' signature on it).


So UNC has become an integral part of my Christmas' since forever ago. This year I was surprised with a new UNC shirt and a UNC blanket. Even more surprising, I pretty much awoke to the smell of bacon cooking in the kitchen. It is amazing how far back this smell is taking me.
Gift gifts are great. I love them, but I got two really wonderful gifts this year that are priceless. The first is that of my health. I have been so sick for the last three years that I have little memory of the past few years. So this year I was blessed with better health. The other is that of old dear friends. I have found so many friends this year from the past. Those gifts are just priceless.

No comments: