Friday, August 17, 2012

Re-introducing myself to all of you

This is taken from bits and pieces of old blogs and plus some new information.  I want to reintroduce myself to all of you for all the new readers. I began this blog entitled Living the Lyme Life in September of 2008.  I had already been in treatment for Lyme for 18 months and wish that I had begun the blog earlier. Although if I had started the blog earlier, the name would have been titled:  Living a symptom filled day with no actual diagnosis life. Quite a mouth full.


My name is Jennifer and this is my blog.  I began the fight of my life in 1995.  I wrote specifically on the years between 1995 and 2007 on a blog entry entitled Jennifer's Background Story.  This was specifically about when my fight began and the doctors I saw.  It talks about some of my experiences and also my experience the first time I saw my Lyme Literate Doctor. Since my Lyme diagnosis in 2007, I've dabbled in other diagnoses too. I've had mineral deficiency, progesterone deficiency, heavy metal toxicity, multiple co-infections, anemia and multiple other health issues. My PICC Line was inserted into my right arm in July 2008 and I battled keeping it safe daily until February 2009.  Thanks to my wonderful nurses, doctors, insertion team and my husband, I was able to keep my line much longer than I should have.  I used it right up until the night before it was finally pulled and based on how it looked when we pulled it, it probably should have been pulled a few months prior. 

 Most people assume that because I had a PICC line that it was used for antibiotic therapy.  However, it was not used for this.  We used the PICC line for IV vitamins, minerals and other supplemental therapies such as Chelation for the heavy metal toxicity.  In addition to these things, I used an experimental IV protocol for about 9 months.  It is no longer available and I rarely talk about it because of it's controversial nature.  However, I feel like that protocol did more for me than any other protocol combined.  It brought me to remission until the past fall when I slipped out of remission.

I tried Low Dose Naltraxone and while it has worked for others, it gave me terrible headaches.  We finally gave up.  I also used a lot of hyperbaric therapy. I feel it worked really well on some of my symptoms (especially my headaches and fatigue), but due to financial struggles I stopped going as much as I was.  I've utilized a variety of homeopathic remedies and still use some of them even today, but a few months ago I began a new oral antibiotic regiment.  I am supposed to be on four different antibiotics, but I am only able to tolerate three of the four.  My doctor and I will make a call here shortly about whether or not I am in need of another PICC line to use for supplemental and antibiotic therapies.  This worries me, but if I have to undergo this again I feel that I am a little better prepared. 

Currently, I feel that about 90 percent of my life revolves around my Lyme symptom. It stinks, but I live with it.  My husband and I got married in April of 2000.  He is my rock.  He supports me with his quirky sense of humor.  His determination to get to the root of my health issues saved my life.  Together we have rescued dogs.  We have an adopted lab mix from the SPCA and a rescued Dachshund.  We recently moved from our first home into a new home.  Back in December of 2011, I quit my position at a child care center.  It took me a while to do this and I struggled with the decision.  However after my two weeks notice was over, my boss offered me a substitute position and I go in every  now and then to help out. It gives me a little therapy for the soul.  







2 comments:

alyson1derland said...

Hi Jennifer! I just started following your blog. My name is Alyson and I was diagnosed in 2010, but went undiagnosed since I was a child in the 80s. Nice to "meet" you.

Jennifer said...

Hi Alyson - it's nice to "meet" you too! Being diagnosed is a blessing and a curse - Isn't it?