Thursday, July 16, 2009

SYTYCD Review

I actually watched this live last night! I love all five ladies. I'm not as fond of all five guys, but they are just so good.

Group Bollywood Routine:

The ladies had a phenomenal execution of a beautiful routine. It was hard to pick out which girls didn't execute as well as the others because it was just so in sync. I'm sure if I dissected it by watching one girl through five views I'd be able to pick out which one did it best and which one did it work, but why ruin the phenomenal perfection that I just saw. I think I know which lady will go home and it's so sad because she is one of my favorite and if she were on another season I think she'd go all the way. However, in this group of ladies she may not stick out in the viewer's minds as America's Favorite Dancer.

I put the critiques in order of my least favorite routine (performance) to my favorite routine instead of by order that they performed.

Randi & Kupono: Paso Doble: I love Randi, but I think it's probably time for her to go home. I don't know that she's shown any improvement over the last few weeks. I know this is a new partnership, but everyone had new partners. This may very well be my least favorite performance of the whole season. (eeks) They did not meet my expectations nor the judges. Extremely disappointed.

Kayla & Evan: Shortest Guy partners with the Tallest Lady. Because Evan's stature doesn't match up with Kayla, it could be easy for him to get lost in this routine of the Viennese Waltz. So they had Kayla dance pretty much barefooted and Evan some shoes that gave him some height. Evan needed to use a "taller" carriage. Some of his arm movements seemed sloppy and not as extended as it could be. His lifts were beautiful. He was able to use his power to get Kayla up in the area and Kayla performed very well. I never would guess that she's not a ball room dancer.

Melissa & Brandon: They did an excellent job with the routine they were given. I am not fond of that style of dancing so it's hard for me to really give my "honest" opinion because of that, but technically it was superb.

Janette & Ade: Ade has to get Janette funky in the hip hop routine. I don't know why Janette worries. I often forget she's a Salsa dancer. They did a phenomenal job. I could go back and pick (no pun intended) this routine apart, but I won't. Their routine was extremely synchronized. They did well with their new partnership. I can't express how much I just love the judges. Nigel: I'm going to try to talk Mary out of her clothes later.


Jeanine & Jason: Jeanine finally gets to dance with someone with technique. She's been partnered with one of my favorite's Phillip, but he's not experienced with any other dance style other than his own. I couldn't keep my eyes off of this Contemporary Routine. What an amazing routine and I got chill bumps! I fell right into their "Conversation" and wanted to know more. It increased Jason's value in my eyes. (and Mary was too flustered for words)

** based on couple dance and couple dance alone: I'd get rid of Kupono or Evan
** based on couple dance and couple dance alone: I'd get rid of Randi or Randi. :( Sorry Randi

Brandon Solo: I'm not fond of Brandon's solo at all. :( (Fortunately I love his couple dancing)
Kupono Solo: Kupono has grown on me in the last few weeks, but not up to the other solos.
Ade Solo: I love how strong he looks. He's a powerhouse of a dancer.
Evan Solo: I just LOVE him when he's performing his style of dance.
Jason Solo: Uh oh .. he's moved to the top of my list.

*** based on solo and solo alone: I'd get rid of Brandon or Kupono.

Randi Solo: I wish I could see her face more when she dances. I enjoyed her solo. :)
Melissa Solo: Of course I Loved this routine. She's a ballerina! :o)
Kayla Solo: Her legs go on forever. Loved it!
Janette Solo: Hard to do a salsa solo .. but I still love her so go ahead put her near the top! :o)
Jeanine Solo: Fabulous! :o)

*** based on solo and solo alone: I'd get rid of Randi. :(


Male Group Dance: Phenomenal. That is all I have to say!

Combining Solo & Couple dance:
My female that should go would be Randi
My male that should go is a toss up between Kupono or Evan.

My biggest thrill would be if they did an All Star Season using the Top 12 dancers from all seasons.

4 comments:

DDawson said...

wow...you really like that show huh? do you take notes? :)

Jennifer said...

I love love love the s how. What I do is watch it and then when I watch it the second time .. I type what I'm thinking. :o)

DDawson said...

wow...that is quite the commitment! How do you find the time for that??

Jennifer said...

Oh I just love the show (and the DVR allows to fast forward through bits I don't want to see). I watch it when I have time to watch it b/c of the DVR as well.