Friday, July 10, 2009

Only constant

Almost five years ago, I wrote this in regards to a change that was taking place in my life. This change caught me off guard and in doing so caused me great pain. This change would cause me to lose touch with some of my best friends and children that I watched grow over that last year. I thought that this change was the worst thing that would ever happen to me.

Now nearly five years later, I realize that change also brought me happiness, joy, new best friends and new children to watch grow. I teach in childcare. It is more than a career to me. Although I feared this change, I knew in my heart of hearts that it must be a good thing and I wrote this message. Once again, I am facing changes. Those changes are painful and I will lose some of my best friends. However I also know that these changes will create happiness, joy, new best friends and new children to watch grow. So as I am going through these major changes, I would like to share with you all the message I wrote to myself in October 2004.

***

The only constant in life is change. Change is inevitable in everything that we do. John Henry Newman wrote, "Growth is the only evidence of life." Infants become toddlers, toddlers turn into preschoolers, preschoolers to children, children to tweens, tweens to teens, teens to young adults, young adults to ... well you get the point.

Some changes in our lives are so gradual that you don't even notice that they are taking place. Others are a bit more abrupt. Those sudden changes can be quite painful, but it's during those moments that we must maintain stability. It is important to stand tall and strong even during this time of uncertainty. It's not the destination, but the journey that makes us who we are. We will arrive at our destination separate yet together.

Someone once said, "Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to a new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for a while." It is my hope that all of us will be apart of each others lives forever. People grow and things change because growth is evidence of life. Let us arrive at our new destinations to make new memories, but never forget the journey.

As Jimmy Dean says, "I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination." Our destination is to teach. Every occasion is a teachable moment. Let us take our moments and teach our children about change because change is steadfast. Let us be their stability and be strong for each other.

P.s. Former Friday will return one last time next Friday.
If I am quiet this week, it is because I am having an unbelievably difficult time with this huge change.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Lifting you up in prayer Jennifer for what you are going through right now.

Kara said...

Hang in there! I am sure the Lord has a plan for you and everything will work out.