Thursday, September 20, 2012

15 years ago

It hit me fifteen years ago today that my life was going down a path that I didn't like.  I was struggling to see my future.  September 20, 1997 - I saw old friends and parents of friends I hadn't seen in a while.  I was at a wedding watching two people exchange their vows.  I do not remember much about the wedding (in fact, these two people divorced a many years ago and the bride is now remarried to a different man), but I remember thinking that my life was not headed in the right direction.  I remember trying to place myself as a bride with my current guy and I just could not see it.  This guy and I had never discussed marriage.  We had never had a serious conversation about life.  We were great friends before and I suspected that should our dating relationship end that we would still remain great friends.

I did some serious thinking at this wedding and reception.    I was to go back to school the next morning, but first I had a friend on my agenda.   My friend had asked me to go out to eat breakfast with him before I went back to school.  I'm very much a list maker and an over planner.  I am very much a "on time" kinda person.  I am never late and I prefer to have a specific plan for every single thing I do.  I am NOT spontaneous.  My friend picked me up at my parent's home on September 21 (15 years ago) and my life changed.  The first thing I realized was that he was on time.  Not only was he on time, but he was a few minutes early.  I could hear the angels singing from Heaven because a friend finally got that I was particular about my time.  Most of my friends are spontaneous and are often a bit late.  I think it must be to overcompensate for me HAVING to be on time all the time.  I've always thought that God is trying to tell me to slow down and be a little more spontaneous. 

So, he picked me up and we went out for breakfast.  However on this day, our plans changed. 

** to be continued **

No comments: