Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Go HEELS

According to some of my friends, my husband has a flaw. Sometimes I appreciate this flaw and other times it can be an annoyance. On our first unofficial date, he showed up in my driveway right on the dot. What I didn't know then was that he had been driving down my road for the prior 30 minutes to an hour because he feared he would be late. I am notorious for being early. I was taught a long time ago "to be early is to be on time."

Well my husband has taken this art to the extreme. Sometimes it can be quite annoying to get somewhere a few hours early. The tickets that I am able to get for UNC basketball games are "general admission." This essentially means, "first come first serve" and "you run to get the best seat you can." If you're lucky, the spot you run to isn't reserved. The first year Rob & I went to the Dean Dome, we got there after the doors opened. We walked in and got the best seat we could, but those were in the Upper Level of the Dean Dome. We didn't even try to go to the Lower Level because we knew the seats would either be taken or reserved.

The next year we went to the exhibition game, we arrived extremely early to tour the campus and the basketball museum. We still wound up sitting pretty far up because we were well behind in line. We were just trying to find "A" seat. We didn't care where because we were in the Dean Dome! There are no bad seats in the Dean Dome, but there are more desirable locations.

This year we had what I considered awesome seats for Late Night with Roy. Now consider this. The exhibition game on Friday began at 7:30. We assumed that the gates would open around 5 to 5:30. Now most of my friends would arrive around 5:30 or possibly even later. Not my husband. We arrived on campus around 3pm (if not earlier), a mere 4 1/2 hours before Tip Off and a probable 2 1/2 hours before the gates would even open.

We get in line and yes there was a line already. We were fairly close to the door and I heard the most beautiful thing ever. The doors were to be opened at FOUR because they were opening up the Dean Dome for the volleyball game scheduled around 5. So this meant that we would not be waiting outside all that long. I was thrilled. We have a game plan. Go in through the doors, Rob & I will dash to the first opening and "run/walk" to the lowest row we can. Yeah we got really low. We could have gone further down, but we found our beautiful seats side by side. It was awesome. Looking over to my left, the tunnel was filled with cheerleaders, coaches, players and all sorts of Very Important People. And to my right, my husband. It was as if we were in our own little world of UNCdomeness. We had a whopping 3 people in front of us. Section 123, Row F Seats 1 & 2 treated us well. And if it weren't for my husband's tenacity to arrive places early, we never would have gotten such great seats!

Volleyball Photo



Roy's boys coming out for practice and in this photo you can see the only three people that were directly in front of us. (Man w/ cell phone, woman's shoulder and man with blue wig. )



Coach Roy Williams looking on as his boy's take the floor for practice.



When I look at this photo below I think two things. First thing is that I'm glad I got both Wear twins in one shot. For those that don't know, we have a set of Identical twins on the team this year. David Wear wears number 34. Travis Wear wears number 43. In photos they can't even tell themselves apart. True story.

The second thing is that I *must* have a "find Eric Montross" button on my camera. Go ahead find him? You can't? Well my camera did. Click on the picture ... Look to the left of the ball at the man in the blue long sleeved sweater with bald head. That's right. ERIC MONTROSS! Go Olympus! You're the bomb.


The freshman are going to rock our worlds this season and in seasons to come. You want proof? Here are David Wear (34) , John Henson (31) and Dexter Strickland (5)



We had a little bit of a scare when Dexter Strickland (5) fell and came back up holding his shoulder, but then he came back immediately with a jump shot.



Look here he is flying in the air.



My friend Missy was also at the game. She came down to see us after the game was over. Rob took this photo in front of my awesome seat.



Now you can see how close we were to the floor.




And thanks to a very generous friend, I get to go back to the Dean Dome on Sunday to see UNC play Valparaiso. I'm so stoked. He's bringing me the tickets today at work.

No comments: