Friday, November 6, 2009

Best place in the world.

I'm in the best place in the world tonight. UNC began playing basketball with its first game against Virginia Christian College, on January 27, 1910. They won that very first game at 42-21. For the record, my birthday is January 27th. I was destined to be a Carolina fan. Born on the very date that Carolina Basketball began a mere 66 years later. The Dean Dome, which was named after Dean Smith former Head Coach of the Heels and current home of Men's Basketball, opened 9 days before my 10th birthday. And on my birthday in 1993, UNC pulled off a doozy of a comeback win. They managed to win after making up a 19 point deficit after Lynch hit a three pointer to ignite a comeback with under 9 minutes to play. (The ball in the photo is from the 1993 NCAA championship win and the spot on the floor is the location that Lynch threw the ball for the January 27th win).



I was there. I was in the building the day of this tremendous win. I was serving Cokes and Sprites with and without ice. But Carolina served me a win. A win on my birthday, a win on my 17th birthday. That same year, they gave me a National Championship win. This year on January 27, 2010 ... Carolina Basketball turns 100 years old. I turn 34. Tonight on November 6th, I watch Carolina in exhibition from the nosebleed section. I will help Turn it Blue and I will smile b.c I am in the best place in the world tonight. Last year I went to watch UNC vs. UNC Pembroke in exhibition. This year I went to Late Night with Roy (photo below) with Rob. I had purchased tickets for this year's exhibition game so I could see the boy's in action again. By the time this posts, Rob & I will be cheering on our Heels!





I said, "Nosebleed section," but I actually got really good awesome completely close up seats. Got to shake the hand of a coach from the other team. I had to. Not because I'm a fan of the "other" team, but because we graduated high school together. I looked down and saw him standing there. He just happened to look up the moment I looked down. Crazy!

No comments: