Sunday, October 4, 2009

Doc in the Box Visit

** Edited down at the bottom **

Woke up this morning feeling even worse so I decided to make a quick stop to the doc in the box. When I say quick .. I mean really quick. I got online to ensure that I knew where the doc in the box was located. I saw a link that said something about getting in line now. So I registered for a 10am appointment. I was the 5th one in "line" but I was the first on to be seen b.c I registered online. How's that for prompt?

They asked for my symptoms: Fever, Cough, Body Aches, Runny Nose, Headaches

They took my temp: Normal (Go figure that I had taken a Tylenol an hour prior .. of course my temp was normal)

They took my blood pressure and Ox: Normal.

Listened to my chest and stuck a huge stick up my nostrils which made my eyes water.

Doc in the Box comes in and listens to my chest. Said he was just waiting on the rapid flu test to come back, but he speculated that I did not have the flu ... but a really bad case of Bronchitis.

He leaves and comes back with three prescriptions and the good news. I don't have SWINE FLU, but only a bad case of Bronchitis. The thing is that I am not sure that I want or desire to take these prescriptions. First: One is an antibiotic. I've not had an antibiotic in over a year. There is no telling what kind of Herx reaction I'll have when I take it. It's also the antibiotic that gave me the worst reaction when I was on it for Lyme Disease. Second: He wrote a prescription for Steroids. Anyone that's anyone in the Lyme community knows you should run screaming from Steroids. I questioned him and he said that if I don't take it ... I could wind up in the hospital. What he doesn't understand is that if I do take it, I could wind up in the hospital. *sigh* Third: he wrote a prescript for a cough medicine. The strongest they have besides a narcotic. I am *really* sensitive to cough medicines. They knock me out on my backside.

There is not a single thing he wrote for me that doesn't have the red flags screaming. I'm going to have the hubby fill them for me. Try to get in touch with my Lyme doctor. The problem is that his office doesn't open until Tuesday. If I continue to go untreated, I could wind up in the hospital. If I go ahead and take these things, I could wind up in the hospital.


What's a Lymie to do?

*** My Pharmacist did not fill the cough med script. She showed hubby the strongest over the counter stuff for me. She did fill the other two. I love my pharamcist. She even gave me an easier way to take the antibiotics (filled a liquid instead of tablet like it was written). So once I get the go ahead from my wonderful doc ... I will have easy way to take it. Though she said "don't shake vigorously. that will make it taste even worse. Tilt it side to side like this easily." LOVE my pharmacist. Who do I love more than my pharamcist? My husband. He's the one that went to the pharmacist armed with questioned. He came back and gave me all the answers! ***

4 comments:

Renee said...

Keeping you in prayer, Jennifer. Does sound very challenging!

Jennifer said...

thanks Renee

Kara said...

OK, girl. Hope you are feeling better by now, Tuesday. You are in my prayers. Love and hugs, Kara

Jennifer said...

Thanks Kara