Saturday, June 27, 2009

SYTYCD Review

** update 6/28/09 ** added Favorite Mary Phrase for each dancer

Finally ... I have watched So You Think You Can Dance. I have yet to watch the results show. Mary Phrase Count (MPC): Mary has phrases she says a lot. I thought this week I would "count" the phrases per each contestant. :) She often says, "Yes You Do." (or Yes You Can, or Yes You Will, Yes I did ... you get the point. A 3 word phrase with Yes or No at the begining .. I or You in the middle and word at the end). I kept track of the show today ... to see how many she said. :D My favorite routines are bolded.

First up with a Hip Hop Routine, Jonathon & Karla take the stage. 1st week I didn't remember. They were in the bottom 3. The 2nd week, they added garlic and butter to their mashed potatoes contemporary routine and this week ... They were easily my least favorite dancers. Karla was a little more "gangsta" in her hip hop, but it wasn't impressive at all. Their "stops" were lacking and moves that should be easy for any dancer didn't appear too easy for them. They tried to be "Smooth Criminals," but I think they should be arrested for performing so poorly. The only part for Jonathon that was a bit redeeming was his gymnastics skills. I felt as if they were doing a bit of a dress rehearsal instead of the show. Synchronization was horrendous. I agree with Nigel ... bottom 3 dance.

MPC: 0
Favorite Mary Phrase: We all know I'm in touch with my inner gangster.

****

Next with Asuka & Vitalo is a jazz routine. Asuka was nervous in rehearsal so that makes me nervous even to watch the routine. Just like Jonathon and Karla, I didn't like their 1st routine and I loved their 2nd routine. So knowing this, I wasn't sure what to expect. I think these two have potential to be really wonderful dancers, but this week it just wasn't there. Some of the steps were really off and Asuka looked petrified. I am afraid that I won't remember this routine tomorrow (and with a MP: No I Won't). I was actually surprised at Nigel. He was so harsh on the 1st couple and this couple not so much. I felt the same with this routine. I felt as if it were too simplistic and just like a dress rehearsal. That they weren't putting their all into it. I would not be surprised if they were also in the bottom 3.

MPC: 0
Favorite Mary Phrase: He's put a whammy on me! (referring to Nigel)

****

I am looking forward to Melissa and Ade. They have come to be one of my favorite couples so I am excited to see the Rhumba. They've done a beautiful piece and a strong and raw piece ... so the Rhumba will (should) be wonderful. In these kinds of dances, hips are important. Do I love their hips ... YES I DO! (Oh wait .. I'm not Mary Murphy). I had to watch this routine 3 times just to watch Ade because I couldn't keep my eyes off of Melissa's lines. I heard Mary screaming in the background. "What a difference A Day (Ade) Makes" OMG Nigel just made me laugh.

MPC: 3 ~ Yes I am, Yes I did and Yes I did (and a few screams too)
Favorite Mary Phrase: What you're selling right now, I am buying (yes I am)!

****
Next up are Brandon and Janette with a routine of Hip Hop. I hope no one takes offense to this "critique," but any dancer that can make himself look so very masculine in a routine that is very much effeminate when he is not dancing means that dancer is VERY GOOD. Rock mixes with Hip Hop works with these two. It was very syncronized and I enjoyed the popping quite a bit that Brandon did. They both did very well with a routine that definately was not in their element. I have now watched this about 5 times and I love it more everytime I watch it.

MPC: 2 ~ Yes I do, Yes I am ( and a couple of screams)
Favorite Mary Phrase: You guys are rock star (whoooooooooooooooooooooo).

***
I'm watching Kupono and Kayla extremely disappointed. I am mourning the loss of Max and wish it was him dancing with Kayla. I believe this would have been a completely different dance if Max had been Kayla's lead. Even though I absolutely love Kayla's dancing, I am not looking forward to watching K Squared dance. They will be performing the Viennese Waltz. I'm nervous for Kayla for the lifts. I also have issues with the no shoes dancing of the Waltz. In a way, Kayla reminds me of last years Chelsea (she was my favorite female dancer). The dance itself was very beautiful. It was not my favorite dance of the night even though Kayla is one of my favorite dancers.

MPC: 3 ~ No it wasn't, Hot Tamale Train, Yes I do (and a couple of screams)
Favorite Mary Phrase: I know one thing for sure. That was no nightmare; no it wasn't!
****
Randi & Evan
: They are becoming my favorite couple. They have so much personality in Mia Michaels Contemporary routine. Evan's pants were a bit distracting .. and so was Randi's. BUT and there is a BUTT (yeah yeah I'm no Nigel), I enjoyed the routine. It was classic Mia Michaels that lacked props. I enjoyed this dance; YES I DID (oh wait .. i'm STILL not Mary Murphy). I find it funny that Evan during the first episode was worried about touching Randi because she's married and now ... Mia did a routine about Randi's butt!

MPC: 1~ Yes we did (lots of screaming and lots of "butts")
Favorite Mary Phrase: I can honestly say I wasn't hypnotized by just the butt!

*****
Jason & Caitlin: 1st week LOVED them ... 2nd week .. HATED them ... this week? They performed the Paso Doble. I suspect that this will be better than last week. Jason and Caitlin got into character and didn't stop performing to the audience. They did seem to have some difficulties with some technique and posture, but hope the entertainment factor of the routine skates them through.

MPC: 2 ~ Yes it was, Yes it was
Favorite Mary Phrase: Holy smokes.

****
Phillip & Janine: While performing the broadway routine, they of course needed to use a prop ... the couch. As I've said before, I'm sometimes a fan ... and sometimes NOT a fan. This week ... A fan! :D I look at Phillip and think what a geek. A cute loveable jumping over the couch geek, but a geek none-the-less. His pants were distracting especially after the rip. However, he kept performing even once he felt the breeze on the backside of his pants. YES HE DID! and he wears tightie whities. :D I think Janine could jump right onto broadway right now. She's such an excellent. performer. YES SHE IS. :D They both stayed into character and their technique. Janine's technique was better than Phillip's technique, BUT ... for what he can do for not having any training ... wow. Impressive.

MPC: 3 ~ No I wasn't, No we didn't, Yes you were (lots of screams)

Favorite MaryPhrase: "Achooooo" I'm allergic to down feathers. What can I say, but I wasn't allergic to that routine. No I wasn't.

Favorite Nigel Phrase: I need more than your ass sticking out of your trousers too
****

Total Counts:

Yes I am (2),
Yes I did (2)
Yes I do (2),
Yes it was (2)
No it wasn't,
Hot Tamale Train,
Yes we did,
No I wasn't,
No we didn't,
Yes you were!

I know you enjoyed that .. Yes YOU DID!

Favorite Mary phrase over all was: "Achooooo" I'm allergic to down feathers. What can I say, but I wasn't allergic to that routine. No I wasn't.

No comments: