Thursday, June 18, 2009

SYTYCD Review

So I admit it. I have a problem. I am addicted to a lot of reality shows. I get it honestly ... My dad is a reality show junkie too. My absolute favorite reality show (other than Survivor) is So You Think You Can Dance! I absolutely love watching new routines and different styles of dance. It makes me smile and I love hearing the comments from the judges (especially Ms. Mary Murphy). So I have decided that I might try to do a review while I"m watching the show. I watch the show the day or two after it airs. So hopefully you won't be spoiled if it's still in your DVR. But since I'm not giving away any bottom 3 answers in this .. this won't spoil anything. Other than whether *I* think they are good .. and what style they are dancing. Also I enjoyed last week's dancing better. I will highlight in bold my favorite couples this week.

Jive ~ Evan & Randi ~ They personality wise are my favorite people on the show. In theory, this should be really good for them. But their actual performance lacked a little bit for me. I think they could have gotten more bounce in it. I expected a lot more out of their jive. I did enjoy it, but they could have had more FUN! (I hear you all groaning) It almost looked like a dress rehearsal instead of an actual performance. I still liked the routine, but it just lacked a little luster for me.

Jazz ~Ade & Melissa Last week, I loved their piece. It was beautifully performed so I am looking forward to this week's performance. It was raw and strong. She was just as strong as Ade and I love that! And what did I love the most ... Mary's "tough love." :o) I love Mary! She makes me smile. Ade lifts Melissa and it's just beautiful. It's early in the show, but this might be my favorite dance of the show!

Hip Hop ~ Jason & Caitlin ~ Last week was their Bollywood dance. The bad thing about having a really great routine one week is that the next week ... it could be a let down. That's exactly what happened here. I was let down. They should have worked just as hard this week as they did last week in the Bollywood routine. They were so in sync (not the boy band) last week and this week they fell short in my opinion. Last week her legs were on fire and this week .. they lacked something. Parts were completely awesome, but other parts not so much.

Disco Dance ~ Brandon & Janette ~ So I am a bit torn on Brandon. Sometimes I love him as a dancer and othertimes ... he annoys me. Last week's performance on the Fox Trot was alright. I didn't know what to think about the disco because they were going from a dance that is very slow to a very rapid quick dance. The performance by the two? Two Words: Whirling Dervish. It was hard to keep up because it was so quick. Janette had a slight bobble at the end, but recovered quite well. I can't really say how Brandon did because I couldn't keep my eyes off of Janette. She did such a good job. And they got Mary to Scream. That means it had to have been good.

Waltz ~ Vitalio & Asuka ~ last week's performance was a let down so I was impressed by this week's dance because anything would be better than last week's dance. (unless you're reviewing Dancing with the Stars ... b/c I mean some of those stars just don't improve) Their lines were very nice and I don't know if the average viewer will appreciate the dance though (and this was the couple that brought Mary to tears and got Nigel to fake blow his nose on TV ... got to love the judges).


Pop Jazz ~ Max & Kayla ~ Last week Max & Kayla were my favorite couple. I have extremly high expectations going into this dance. My first thought was about the Props they use. Sometimes I am a fan of props and sometimes I am not. This week ... the props were a let down. Their costumes were also overwhelming. MC Hammer pants .. Even Mary didn't like it. Bright Ostrich dress .. Again, I am not a fan. BUT .. I looked past all of that to see that their skills are so prestine, perfect and precise. They stayed on Mary's Hot Tamale Train! I would say that Kayla is better than Max, but the pair of them are a force to be reckoned with. They are completely awesome.

Contemporary ~Jonathon & Karla ~ These two I think: Who are they? I couldn't remember them from last week. Then I remembered they were in the bottom three. I have to remember to enjoy the skills of the dancing even if I don't like the style of dance. Contemporary is not my favorite style, but I think that these two did an alright job in performing it. In fact, I actually quite enjoyed it. My big joke about Contemporary dancing is that if dancing is a potato .. then contemporary dancing is mashed potatoes. This couple added butter, cheese & garlic to the mashed potatoes. If you don't understand this, it means I really liked it! They performed so much better than last week (obviously since I don't even remember their routine last week).

Tango ~ Phillip & Janine ~ my 2nd favorite routine from last week. So I hope that they will be able to do just as well this week. I fear the Tango for them. I expect a Tangled Tango! (or maybe I should say a Testicle Tango since she kicked him in the groin) Phillip looks very uncomfortable, awkward and a bit heavy in the legs. He did have some great hip moves though. Janine seemed more comfortable and her lines were not half bad. I think Janine could have done better if Phillip had been better with the technique of the Tango. I think it kind of brought her down. I fear this might put them in the bottom 3.

Hip Hop ~ Kupono & Ashley ~ Last week they did the Crash Test Dummies dance. I really enjoyed it. So hopefully they will BRING IT. I could never do Hip Hop and I love to watch it. Okay. I had to watch this three times ~ and not because I just loved it. The stops were okay at the beginning, but then they got loose with the stops. I thought they did a much better job with the Crash Test Dummies dance. It looks like they practiced the dance wrong in parts. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect Practice makes perfect. It wasn't syncronized at all. It was Chaotic and not in a good way. I thought it was going to be faster, sharper and completely awesome. I was let down by the performance. I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the bottom 3.


Well I can't wait to see my DVR on the results show! No one spoil it for me. I never watch these things until later. :o) I go to bed too early to see it the day it airs.


*** 6/19/09 ***
Well .. I was right about ONE that went home, but I was saddened that one of my favorites went home.

No comments: