Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pens & Paper Don't Feel

*** first this is extremely long and I apologize for that, but God has placed something on my heart that I must share ****

I have to say that I have spent most of my life feeling as if I didn't belong. I grew up in a very small town where I had extremely close friends. Then my family uprooted us and moved. We did not move far, but it was far enough that I lost all of my friends due to our ages (between 6th and 7th grade) and distance. I lived a very depressed life from 7th grade until 10th grade when I finally felt like I belonged to a group of people that liked me even if though I was different. However, I still spent most of the rest of my high school years extremely depressed. My best friend now saved my life then. He was not my best friend at the time, but I would not be here if God did not place him in my path then.

I have spent my life writing: writing journals, writing poetry, writing doodles, just writing. The poetry I read that I wrote in High School (and even college) are some of the most depressing pieces of works I have ever seen. I read them and can go back to the same feelings I felt back then. I hated the computer. The computer guru at college used to say "Oh no not her" when I'd come into the lab because within 15 minutes of me sitting at it .. the computer would die. I could never figure out how to turn a computer on much less write my college papers on them. I didn't belong at college. I had almost seizures daily and people made fun of me behind my back, but when I wrote ... I felt free.

I would sit in the chapel at church and write. Some letters, some poetry, anything to get the feelings out. I always felt better and not quite so alone after writing. It's like the pen & paper were my friends. It didn't matter what I wrote they would never get mad, upset or offended. My writings never made the pen & paper jealous or happy or anything. The Pen & Paper didn't have feelings. No one ever read them and I suppose no one ever will, but when I read about a boy and mangled flesh (circa 1997) it makes me cringe to see what was going through my noggin.

So once I became computer literate and unable to kill a computer in 15 minutes, it became crystal clear that I should write everything on the computer instead of in pen & paper. just write. That was my motto. I discovered emails, Instant Messenger, forums, myspace, facebook & a world of blogging. It opened my eyes to a whole new world of writing. A world in which others could view my thoughts. On one hand, I felt glad to share my inner most thoughts to people that cared ... but on the other hand it made me very vulnerable. Pen & Paper could never get hurt. People on the other hand. They could be hurt by my inner most thoughts.

I knew I would be able to write my inner most thoughts and feelings on Lyme forums and people would understand. About the same time as I found those Lyme forums, I found out about blogging. I knew I would never do this because I didn't really want the world to read my thoughts.

However I found in September of 2008 that I had a LOT to say. I could educate people who found my little piece of the world about Lyme Disease. The first comment I received from someone asking more about Lyme Disease made my heart feel good. My motto for my blog: Living life as full as I can with the skills that I have and the love I receive.


For now this is what is on my heart & soul. Pen & Paper don't get hurt, but people do.
Sometimes people say things that aren't intended to be hurtful and sometimes I write things that hurt others and it was not my intentions. I must first say that no one that has ever commented on this blog has EVER been hurtful. It was something else that happened today that produced this lengthy blog. Because when I hurt, I write. I write in journals, write poetry, write doodles, just write on my blog.


The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:28-31

1 comment:

Renee said...

Thank you so much for sharing, Jennifer. So glad you like to use the computer now!