Saturday, April 4, 2009

March Madness (woooo)

I am a HUGE basketball fan. I love to watch college basketball. My life is in front of the TV from the beginning of the season until the Final Game in April. For those that know me in person OR have been reading the blog for a while, you know I am a HUGE Carolina fan. Some question why ...

My family has always been fans of Carolina so it was ingrained in me from birth, but my true loyalty came when I was treated by Neurologist at Carolina when I was a child. I also worked concessions at Carolina when I was in middle & high school for both football games, basketball games and even worked there for an occasional concert. I wasn't too happy with the physicians at Carolina in 1995 when I was a patient prisoner at the hospital, but still my loyalty remained with the UNC basketball team. My most prized possession is the UNC National Championship Shirt from 1993 that is signed by the starters (including my absolute favorite Eric Montross).


Well today is the day of the Final Four and Monday is the final Championship game. The last three games of the season are played and it is then that I go into a deep depression (earlier if my most favorite team loses). There is no more basketball until the air gets crispy & the leaves start to change colors.



I will never forget the start of the 08/09 season. I had my PICC Line. I got to see Tyler Zeller play in his first game and I saw Eric Montross from the back. I hope that this is the year I will never forget not only for the health gains, but as the year that Carolina takes the 2009 National Championship.

Bracketology is something I take very seriously. I look at each time and decide who is going to make it from 65 to 32 to Sweet 16 to Elite 8 to Final Four to the Championship game. Who has what it takes to make it all the way and who is going to shock us? I have been following basketball for sometime and have respect for some of the NCAA and other teams .. I just don't like at all.

Most people either like or don't like a team because of either their players or their coach. It comes down to a final group of four teams. I do not know much about Villanova (whom we are about to play), but I have always had respect for Michigan State & UConn. I am so pleased that those two teams are among the final four this season. I am so happy that my Carolina Heels are able to play in the Final Four game as well. They've had some good games and some bad ones. They've had some unfortunate injuries in the game and some come backs by players that we thought were out for the season.

I am pleased to be a life time fan of the Carolina Tarheels and am about to put on my Carolina gear and watch with enthusiasm. I am sure there will be some cheering and yelling (and perhaps even some cursing).

I hope my team can pull this off. It will be a difficult game and a tough one as the Heels battle with the 'Nova team.


Update: Michigan State and Tom Izzo are headed to the Championship Game.

Update: Kudos to the UConn team for coming in and watching the UNC/Nova game. Classy team there.

Update: UNC 49 Nova 40 at the half. Come on Heels. Keep up the momentum.

Update: UNC 75 Nova 63 with 4:20 to go. Come on Heels. Let's go.

Update: Carolina Wins and Goes to Championship Game Monday Night! One last game.

Go visit Serious Life Magazine to push them over a million views for March edition.

No comments: