Thursday, November 25, 2010

Bronchitis

The whole reason I went to the doctor on November 2nd was to prevent Bronchitis. I knew that if I kept that infection any longer that the bacteria would travel on down to my lungs and well I'd be feeling like an elephant was sitting on my chest.

After finishing my antibiotics, I didn't have a long period of "health" before I got sick again. The lovely stomach flu hit and after it departed from my body, I got a small cough. It wasn't that bad, but along with the cough I felt the urge to clear my throat. Within a few hours of the onset of coughing, I began to feel it. It hurt to breathe. My lungs felt wet and heavy. This was all on Monday evening. I was hoping that by Tuesday I'd feel better, but to no avail. Then Wednesday morning I felt even worse. It was a chore just to breathe and I struggled to catch my breath after coughing spells.

So I made the decision to go to the doctor's after work. I called my PCP (Primary Care Physician) to see if they by chance had any sick appointments available. TO my surprise, they did with the caveat being they needed me there in the next hour. I got there 30 minutes before my appointment time and expected that I would have a huge wait in the waiting room or in the exam room. However, that is not what happened at all. I had enough time to fill out the paperwork and shortly after I was called back. I had enough time to have 3 coughing spells before the doctor came in commenting on how wonderful I sounded.

I told him of my ailments over the last couple of months and he listened to my lungs. The words crackling and wheezing were mentioned a couple of times. He went to get a sample inhaler so I could get started on treatment right away, but they were out of samples. Indeed, I had Bronchitis. He faxed over the script for Zithromax and the Inhaler I'd need. I've had one dose of the antibiotic (it's a one dose a day for 5 days macrolide). This morning I woke up without a sore throat for the first time in a few days!

I've also had my hand at the inhaler on two different occasions. Once last night as soon as it got home and this morning. My lungs feel so much lighter and I'm actually coughing stuff up without the use of an expectorant. Delsym seems to be working to keep the coughing controlled.

Funny thing is that my blood work was postponed a few weeks so I would be away from antibiotics when the blood was done. Now, my blood work is on Tuesday ... So I'll have antibiotics and Albuterol in my system. Oh well. It will be interesting to see what the blood work says.

My guess is that the Amoxil didn't knock out the infection completely. So it festered and festered and then reappeared immediately as Bronchitis.

No comments: