Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The College Trip

I had the absolute best time this year! I decided at the very beginning that flexibility was going to be key in having a great time. I wasn't going to be a clock watcher or overly worried about things. The plan was to not really have a plan. For those of you that know me in life, know this is a very difficult task for me. Even when I was deciding to date my husband, I made a pro/con list! I'm a planner by nature. I think of all possible scenarios in my head and plan ahead.

I left about 9am and drove about 3 and 1/2 hours to my friend's place. We left immediately and went to where we would be staying. It was a nice little place where there were two bedrooms and two bathrooms. We each had our own private space. We headed back to the campus where we took our own mini walking tour. We walked by the part of campus where we "used" to eat. In it's place were two new dorms and a new cafeteria. Two years ago when I was last there, they were demolishing the dorms that were there and the cafeteria. It is so sad when a huge part of our lives is gone, but the buildings in their place are absolutely exquisite.

Here's a photo of the archway that connects the dorm on the right to the dorm on the left.



Afterwards, we took a quick walk by the building where we met though we didn't go in because we weren't sure if it was open. Then we headed onto the Wesley Foundation. For those of you not in the know, a Wesley Foundation is United Methodist campus ministry sponsored in full or in part (depending on the congregation) by the United Methodist Church on a non-church owned and operated campus. While we attended the Wesley Foundation, it was downstairs of the church. Since my last visit, they have added onto the United Methodist Church and the Wesley Foundation is now in the upstairs.

While I am not huge on change, this was absolutely beautiful. We always entered through the back of the church, but now the Wesley Foundation members can enter from the front of the church easily as it is now upstairs and there is a bridge connecting the foundation to the road. It's very nice. I failed to get a lot of photographs, but here is the backside of the church.


We spent quite a bit of time looking around. In the late 90's, if I wasn't in class, my room or the library, I was here sharing my love for Christ through socializing, singing and worshiping. It was the best part of my collegiate experience. It was in this place where I made close knit friends. Not only did I have great college friends, but there were adults there that guided us to make good choices during our college careers that represented Christ. Each student that wanted was partnered with couples at church. We became family. We were there for each other physically, emotionally and spiritually. I still talk to Kathy & Gene often.

Now I have often wondered if there were remnants of our lives there during our time at the Wesley Foundation. Seeing the addition to the church really made me wonder if our mark was left there. So we walked downstairs to go to what we called the Library to see if our mark was there. In 97/98, our Campus Minister Retired. This is during our time there. We had a frame made for him to honor his time and each person that was a member during that year had their photo placed in the frame. Needless to say, our mark was left. I'm in the top row on the right counting backwards from the person closest to the frame from right to left, I'm the third one there. The friend I went with is on the right side bottom one photo up on the right.



On Saturday, we tailgated at the Wesley Foundation. There were about 10 people there from during the time we attended. After a sort slide show and a lot of talking, we went to the football game. It was hot ... and the team stunk, but we had a good time anyways. (especially watching the band!)






We hung out with old friends after the game and on Sunday we went to the worship service. It was our first experience with the minister (both the Wesley Foundation Minister & the Church Minister) and they were so extremely kind. I felt very welcomed back "home" and know that I'm welcomed back anytime. I definitely remember why I attended in the first place. They have open hearts, open minds and open doors.



I'd post a photo of my friend and me, but I haven't gotten permission. So you'll have to do with the ones above! :)

No comments: