Saturday, August 8, 2009

Follow Up Appointment

I would suggest that most Lyme patients have other "issues" that can cause symptoms to arise. These other things for me are Nutrient Deficiencies, Adrenal Weakness, Low Normal Natural Killer Cells, Heavy Metal Toxicity, parasites and potentially low iron.

When I got to my LLMD the first time, we discussed the markers for Lyme Disease. I had joint pain in unspecified areas (it jumped around), fatigue & malaise, sleep disturbance, memory loss,
history of tick bite with bulls eye rash and a positive response to antibiotics. In February of this year, I got a CDC positive test result in the IgeneX Western Blot IgM. In the next two weeks, I will be having another test to see how LabCorp views my Lyme tests. The state of North Carolina only thinks that you have Lyme Disease IF a "normal" lab pings positive results. They also want the results within 30 days of the lab AND I seem to recall that they prefer both IgM and IgG to be CDC positive. So I'm crossing fingers that my LabCorp test will ping a positive result.

I've been taking an enzyme called Nattoserrazime. It's a blend of two potent enzymes which is used for cardiovascular, anti-inflammatory, respiratory and immune support. The benefit to this is that it supposedly helps ward off bacterial infections and supports immune health. I am also on EDTA. EDTA binds to metals in the body and helps you get rid of them. It binds to even good minerals so in order to ensure that it's not taking out too many good minerals I will have to be taking a "Trace Minerals." However, I have to make sure that I take it far enough away from the EDTA or it will just be wasted money (IE it will bind to the Trace Mineral and take IT out of my body instead of any heavy metals). I will also be taking Curcumin (Ker Kume In). It's believed to also have an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. It may stimulate the immune system as well. Lastly on the Lyme front, I will be taking Paracide Juglans. This stuff is NASTY! I don't know exactly what it does, but I do know that it also helps kill parasites.

Because of all of the above, I will be having a nutritional panel taken the same day as the Lyme test. EDTA will be a 2 month supplement. Parasides will end as soon as I finish the bottle (*yeah*). Since the beginning of my treatment, my adrenal cortisol levels have been consistantly going down. This is NOT good. So they will test my cortisol levels to see where they are and I will continue addrenal support.

Last time I was tested, my Natural Killer cells were in the low end of normal. I am to order something called Low Dose Naltrexone. Originally Naltrexone was invented to help drug and alcohol addicts. Well it became clear that it seemed to help immune functions and a while back a doctor studied this and realized that in a very small dose ~ it helped improve immune functions quite a bit. Low Dose Naltrexone has been used successfully in Cancer and HIV/AIDS patients and more recently they've been using it on those with bacterial infections (like Lyme Disease). I would be taking 4.5 MG of this LDN at bedtime to help raise my natural killer cells. (I believe that the dose they use for addicts if 50 mg .. so you can see it's truly a very low dose).

Because my Chelation proved that I had some heavy metals, I will be having a test to see if it has caused any damage. This test will be done about the same time as my blood work. We're also going to really check out my Ferritin levels because some symptoms I've been having the last few weeks have been indicative of Low Iron levels. I will start Iron supplements as soon as my blood test has been completed.

On my supplement list:

Nattoserrazyme
Adrenal Cortex
Cod Liver Oil
Curcumin
EDTA (total of 2 months)
Immuzyme
Liver Drainage
Methyl B12
Total B
Vitamin C
Paracide (finish bottle)
Ultraflora
Iron Plex
Trace Minerals
I have more, but those are on my list sent home today!

Tests coming up: (August 19)
CBC
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
Cortisol
Ferritin
Natural Killer Cells
Lipid Panel
Parathyroid
Vitamin D (25)
Zinc Plasma
CD 57
Lyme IgG and IgM
Several types of Urine testing.
Spectracell Nutrient Testing

3 comments:

Renee said...

Wow. You are going to be busy...inside your body and out! Hope it is all beneficial and helpful in every positive way possible!! We head to our LLMD on Monday.

Charisse said...

How did I miss this update? I think it happened when I updated my blog. I am slowly but surely getting my fave blogs added back to my blogroll.

Wow...that is a lot of supplements and a lot of blood drawn. I am happy to hear that you are still doing well since I last checked in.

Jennifer said...

Charisse you missed a lot of posts! :o)