Sunday, August 16, 2009

All Quiet on the Western Front

In chapter 7 of this novel, it is stated:

Just as we turn into animals when we go up to the line . . . so we turn into wags and loafers when we are resting. . . . We want to live at any price; so we cannot burden ourselves with feelings which, though they may be ornamental enough in peacetime, would be out of place here. Kemmerich is dead, Haie Westhus is dying . . . Martens has no legs anymore, Meyer is dead, Max is dead, Beyer is dead, Hammerling is dead . . . it is a damnable business, but what has it to do with us now—we live

***
I have been all quiet on the blog front because I didn't want to admit what I have been feeling to spare my readers the gory details of my life. In the last week, I have been battling my emotional baggage. How do I mix the medical life with my personal life? How do I work around all of the medical jargon in order have any sort of personal life? If I ignore the personal stuff, my own sanity suffers. If I ignore the medical stuff, my own body suffers. How do I combine the two in order to maintain my health and maintain my sanity?

I just don't know how to do that yet.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Sending you gentle hugs and letting you know I understand just what you are saying.

Tom Robinson said...

Jennifer,

I'm sorry your're struggling. Maybe you'll find this post of mine helpful.

Also, when I'm torn between two serious concerns, I've learned that I do best when I focus first on the part of me that's torn, and give him lots of TLC.

I hope you feel better soon.

Tom
tom@chronicillnesscoach.com