Saturday, May 16, 2009

Treasures versus Junk

My Granny had a collection of Treasures. To some, these treasures would be looked at as junk while as to others ... these collection of things would hold the most dearest memories.

My Granny passed away 9 years ago on the 19th and my Grandfather has been moved into a nursing home. It is unlikely that his physical body will be strong enough to go back home. So because of this, my family has had the difficult task of wading through Granny's and my Granddaddy's "treasures." As we're going through things, many treasures were found. But it occurred to me, that many might find the things that my family and I treasure junk. I wondered if the things that we treasure were the same things that my Grandparents treasured. I wondered if the things that we thought were "junk" were things that just hadn't made it to the garbage quite yet or if those were also things that she held dear to her heart.

But I knew what it was and I knew that if Granny kept that old newspaper clipping that it was special. And indeed it was. We found treasures stored in every drawer, nook & cranny and every hiding place. My family gifted me with many of these treasures we found. As I'm finding room in my home for these things that I treasure, I wonder how many of these same things other people would find as junk.

The infamous "outhouse" decorations from the hall bathroom ~ all cracked and glued back together would be considered junk to anyone, but to me it symbolizes my childhood. Felt Elves that most of the heads are coming off ... to anyone else, might be considered junk ... but to me, they are things that my Granny stitched with love knowing that one day her grandchildren would want them. As I am integrating their things with mine, I have tears of joy & tears of pain.

Joy because it reminds me of what a wonderful family I have and what a wonderful childhood I had, but pain because some of those people are no longer here with us physically. As I opened up a powder that had last been touched by Granny in 2000, I finally was able to remember the way she smelled. And Oh what a beautiful smell it was. But to someone else, that little container of powder might have been tossed out with old receipts and dust bunnies. Two huge ole pair of RED prescription glasses? The look in which I will always remember my Granny. Now they both sit in the top dresser drawer residing in my spare bedroom.

Today we took every piece of furniture out of our spare bedroom and replaced it with my childhood, my memories and my treasures. I just hope that one day, someone will be looking at my things thinking, "Oh what beautiful memories."

2 comments:

Renee said...

This is so special Jennifer. So glad you are able to have cherished memories of your grandparents. What a special gift for you and your family.

Kara said...

Oh, yes, memory treasures. I have many of those from grandmothers, great grandmothers, and great aunts. Teacups, jewelry, letters, vases, decor, etc. All are very special to me. The other day, I was looking at a photo of my grandma and grandpa that sits on my piano. I noticed something I never noticed before -- my grandmother is wearing a necklace in the photo and I have the necklace. I got all teary-eyed and smiled. The piano their picture sits on was my great grandmother's. Her father had it built for her as a gift for her 16th birthday -- that was in 1906. It is an upright grand and can outplay my baby grand any day. I can just imagine my great grandmother playing ragtime music. She played by ear and people that knew her said she played wonderfully! Such precious memories I have and feel so blessed to have those items. Enjoy yours and the joy they bring to you and your family.