Wednesday, May 6, 2009

PICC Lines


Have any of you had this problem post picc line pulling? (how's that for alliteration?) I get these bumps in about the same place quite a bit. I have a feeling they come up every night, but I'm asleep and don't notice. I had 12 in April (on one day I had 3 bumps pop up at the same time around the site and on another it was 2 bumps). I know I've had one pop up this month. I'm not sure how many times it happened after it was pulled in February and March because I didn't keep an eye on it really, but I do know it happened at least 10 times.

I'll be heading to my LLMD next week with photos in hand, but what happens is that a small little bump shows and then it gets larger to about the size in this photo. Then it disappears over the next few hours. I thought I'd see if any of you guys (all Lymies with PICCs or anyone else wiht PICCs) might have an idea or two about what might be going on.

It doesn't hurt, it doesn't really itch, but it is quite annoying.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ouch! Does the bump hurt? I've had several PICC lines but never a bump like that. Let us know what your doctor says.

I'm praying for you. I try to leave you messages more often, but usually get thrown off when I stop by. I do keep you in my prayers along with the others suffering from this terrible disease.

Gentle hugs,

Lisa

Kara said...

Nope, never had any bumps like that show up during or after my line. Very interesting though. I wonder if it's some kind of delayed allergy reaction? If that were the case I would think it would itch, though. Hmmmm ... yes, let us know what the doctor says. My line was pulled about 2 years ago and the vein it was in still aches if I get really toxic or overloaded from die off. But usually only for a few hours and then it's gone. I had a line in that vein for 2 years so it got really caloused (spell?) from the line(s). Good luck!

Jennifer said...

Lisa, are you using Internet Explorer? I have found when I used IE for blogger that it often wouldn't show the blog. I use firefox and haven't had a problem.

Kara thanks for commenting. :) Nice to see your face again.

I can't figure out what's going on. My doctor often calls me "One big walking rash." I get rashes quite often, but this is quite unusual as it's always about in the same spot and usually at night. I woke up with another one this morning. Well the endings of one.

Michelle Riggs said...

No advice, but I wanted you to know I am praying for you and for your friends and the babies in the hospital.

Thank you so much for [raying for my daughter, Abby.


Michelle Riggs
RiggsFamilyBlog.com

Jennifer said...

Thank you Michelle. You're so sweet.

cindy baldwin said...

Jennifer - I've never had anything like that happen post-PICC (and I've had lots of PICCs), but I do get similar hives in random parts of my body (especially my face) that appear and disappear in much the way you describe. I have no idea if that has any bearing on your situation or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there....