Sunday, February 12, 2012

The one about Whitney Houston

I'm sure there will be a lot of blog posts about Whitney Houston. What an amazing singer and entertainer, but I want to focus on something else. I'll probably get a little "heat" for this post, but I'm gonna speak my mind and hope you all understand where I'm coming from today.

So you know how there are moments in your life where you say, "I'll always know where I was when ..." So I was sitting watching guard and this lady turned to me and said, "Whitney Houston Died." Her eyes were huge. My brilliant response? "Seriously?" (I had a total Grey's Anatomy moment). She said, "I wouldn't joke about something like that." My response, "She can't be that old. Do they know how she died?" As the lady is responding, my husband sends me a message and confirms her death.

Now I have to say there are fewer things that bother me more than when a celebrity dies. It's not that they died. It is that the media feels the need to talk about it over and over again and show pictures of grieving family members, friends and fans. Many people die in this country every day, every hour, every minute. I have family members that have lost best friends and I have friends that are losing or have lost parents. I have friends that have lost best friends. There are military dying every day. KIDS dying that shouldn't have even been with their parent to begin with if Social Services had done their job! (that's another post entirely!)

But I feel that media should just let grieving families and friends be. I understand that it is urgent that news needs to get out regarding these events, but must they repeat the same thing over and over again for weeks?

I don't know. It's just something that gets to me. I haven't even turned on the television since I received word because I don't want to see Whitney's 18 year old daughter grieving. (I googled her just to make sure I got her age correct and of course now they are reporting that she's at the hospital for stress -- no kidding, you guys probably helped put her there). Yes I am my soap box. And yes Iknow, they are celebrities .. they put themselves out there. BUT, there is a time and a place for privacy. I wish the media would respect their privacy.

I hope I didn't make anyone angry, but I just had to get it off my chest!

PS. Stay tuned the next two days, I have two posts schedule. One about my guard day yesterday and one about my weird symptoms.

No comments: