Friday, March 12, 2010

Score One for Jennifer

So last night I had a meeting. I am petrified of being late to things. So much so that I generally plan to arrive places up to 30 minutes early just in case "traffic" happens. Since I work about 45 minutes (on good traffic days) from home, I decided to leave only 15 minutes early because the last few meetings we've had ... it has still only taken 45 minutes to arrive. I was tired of arriving 30 minutes early. Well leave it to me to decide this on a day where there IS a traffic jam on the interstate. *gahhhh*

About 3 miles into my trip, the GPS alarms at me, "Bad traffic ahead. Recalculating." I was like, "HUH?" There was no apparent traffic on the bypass. I kept going. I got onto the interstate and still no apparent traffic yet the GPS insisted that I take an exit about 6 miles prior to my usual exit. It was getting dark and it was raining and the GPS was wanting me to take a road I *never* take. As I look ahead, I see the red lights stopped. Hmmmm I had a choice. I could listen to the GPS and go a way that I never go OR I could sit in traffic on the interstate causing me to definately be late.

So I took a deep breath and shot over one lane and went the GPS led way. Now keep in mind, I am so routine in my routes that I rarely ever travel on alternate paths. I have barely even ridden on the road that the GPS wanted me to drive much less driven on it. In the past, I would have chosen to sit in traffic rather than to take this alternate path. However, I knew this would be a growing experience and a test of the GPS.

SO I drove down these roads I've never driven listening and watching carefully to my GPS. And who knew ... I got to my destination (almost on time .. I was 60 seconds late) without tears and fears.

Score ONE for Jennnifer (& Alphie)

No comments: