Monday, September 14, 2009

Laughter Heals

If you read this before 4pm, I've added to it.


I truly believe that laughter heals. When I started dating my husband, he was the funniest person I knew. He made me laugh every second I was around him. In fact, humor is the number one quality of any of my friends. I have to be friends with people that understand my uniqueness and most of my friends have their own unique humor. I don't know if my friends could be friends with each other, but I enjoy each and every friend differently. Some I have serious conversations with and others .. well I act like I'm a 5 year old who thinks every single thing that comes out of the mouth is funny.

My husband and I never have company. Well I take that back, people come over and within hours they leave. We rarely (I could almost even maybe say never) have guests that come over, stay a while, spend the night and stay the next day a while losing track of time until they finally drive home. A few months back, I invited one of my best college friends to come out this way. We had not seen each other in 10 years, but he was busy with life. I was busy with life. So it just never happened.

Well last weekend I was on the computer and he mentioned that he had Friday through Sunday off. I suggested he come to the area so we could hang up (intending that he would hang out for a few hours, but then leave to go back home). It was suggested by my friend that a hotel room might be found so that he could not only have a few hours with us, but make the trip last a little longer. So Rob & I discussed it and decided he could stay in our guest bed room. That way we could stay up as late as we I could and then the next morning there wouldn't be any commute time before the fun could begin again.

Since I am easily disappointed, I decided the whole week to say, "I'm having company, but it probably won't happen. I'll be surprised if he shows up. " In all seriousness, people tend to be flaky. Generally something comes up to interrupt the fun. On Saturday, my friend arrived about noon. It took us about 15 minutes to fall back into the craziness that used to be our friendship. I'm sure anyone looking in at any 2 minute segment of our talks would have been like what is wrong with them, but it made sense to us.

By the end of the evening, I was laughing so hard that I was literally rolling on the floor and my abs hurt. Something that normally wouldn't be so funny got my tickle bone and caused fits of laughter.

*** To Be Continued Later this evening ... so if you read this before 4pm EST on Monday, come back and read the rest ****

Those fits of laughter caused my abs to ache, but it made my heart feel wonderful. We played cards and games that required math skills. That was hysterically funny b/c both Rob & I are both having trouble simple math right now. We also hadn't played these games in a few years and my friend had never played them. So we were having issues with the directions, but once we got going it was a blast.

I'm so glad that my friend had the opportunity to come visit and spend two days with us. It's probably the most fun I've had in months. Sadly, we all forgot to take photos.

1 comment:

Renee said...

How fun for you all!! So glad you were able to have some good belly laughs.