Monday, July 22, 2013

The Itching Game

The stages of an itch usually follow a pattern. 

  • There is an itch.
  • You scratch it.
  • There is relief.
 This can be true for many types of itches. However one type it itch plays hide & go seek  --

  • There is an itch.
  • You scratch it.
  • It moves.
  • You scratch it again.
  • It moves.
  • You scratch it again.
  • There is relief.
However, there is one type of itch that is quite annoying.  Annoying indeed.

  • There is an itch.
  • You scratch it.
  • It itches worse.  
  • You scratch some more.
  • It itches worse.
  • Houston, we have a problem.
This has happened to me, yet again.

First let me begin by saying I have re-occuring systemic yeast problems.  It happens and I usually realize it quickly and begin a protocol.  By looking back to 2008, it took 4 days of this protocol to help this kind of itchiness in the past.

Now there are multiple things that I think are important and some are a little bit TMI.  I'm a modest girl so I'll keep it friendly, but - I can't explain everything without explaining everything.  For my male readers - aka that's you Kaptain Blue, you might want to just want to  just go back to like 2008 and reread and old blog.  LOL.

It all began on a quiet Wednesday afternoon. I ran out of my monthly supplies on day 3.  All you ladies (and probably some gentlemen) know what I'm talking about.  So a quick trip to the store was in order.  When I arrived, I realized they had a bargain so I bought up 3 boxes of my favorite brand.  However instead of getting my regular supply, I mixed it up a bit.  I thought why not mix it up - they've had this "new" product out for a bit and I've heard great things about it.  I got home and unwrapped this pretty package of U by Kotex. I think you ladies know where I'm going with this.  It was Mistake Number One! On Wednesday afternoon, I used the product twice.



Thursday I had scheduled a lymphatic massage for detoxing.   So, I decided to shave the bikini line.  Mistake Number Two.   I must say I really enjoyed it, but boy did we find my painful spots.  By this point, I had used the product two or three more times.  By Thursday night, I felt an "itch."  I won't tell you where exactly this "itch" was located, but all you ladies know this itch - an uncomfortable itch that's inconvenient and a bit disgusting to scratch -especially in public. Upon further investigation, I discovered a small bump - like that of a bug bite on my tush.  I figured in that moment the bug bite was the cause of the itch.  There was no alarm.  Side note:  That night, I grabbed one of my original product instead of the new pretty packaging product.



I went to sleep Thursday night thinking nothing of the little itch and bump.  Boy was I wrong.  Mistake number 3.  I should have started treating that little itch & bump Thursday  night because Friday morning I woke up and I was really itchy.  I was so itchy - I decided to just leave off any extra things that might cause irritation - IE:  I knew I would have some messy under garments, but it was worth it.  See told you might be a bit TMI.


By Friday evening, I was in a pickle.  I realized that I had a lot of redness and irritation (and itching).  So I grabbed a tube of handy dandy lotrimin ultra and applied onto the skin where it was red and irritated.  Upon contact, it felt better.  I slept well - although woke frequently itching.


By Saturday, I was truly in pain.  It was an itch so bad that it hurt.  I couldn't scratch it because t hat would make it worse - If you don't know - any itch/rash area that you scratch over and over again could cause an infection if you break the skin.  And since I'm trying to avoid any antibiotics over the next 6 weeks - (have gone 2 weeks so far) I'm trying not to scratch.  I alternated using antifungal cream and neosporin on my red/raging/irritated/angry/itchy skin.  To clarify, it is just the skin that's red and fussy.  Thank God!  I began Diflucan (why I didn't on Friday - I don't know.  I'm fussing at myself about that right now! - yes at 2:50 am).

Sunday, I picked up Coconut Oil.  I've heard many good things about it.  I used it.  It was "so so" in remedy for itching - but I've also heard it's a great natural antibiotic/antifungal therapy for skin. So I've alternated the  creams around today to try to hit the rash from every angle and then it hit me -



  • The new product irritated my skin.. (probably need to add an cortisone cream in there)
  • The shaving irritated my skin more - would have been better off if I had left well enough alone during my monthly visitor.  (this is where I'm using the antibiotic cream)
  • The yeast went out of control due to a combination of - already having system yeast overgrowth in my body (with no other symptoms, I didn't realize), lymphatic massage pulling things out to the surface, and because it was already irritated due to the product & the shaving - the rash landed on a very unfortunate area of the body.  (Diflucan and Antifungal Cream - alternating with Coconut Oil)
Because of this itch - I haven't slept well since Thursday night.  I have to work today through Thursday.  First 4 day week since I quit - and most of those days are almost 8 hour days.  If my bosses were in town, I'd not go - but this week I am the boss.  I have to go.  So wish me luck as I sit down, cross my legs and hope that the itching doesn't go crazy while I'm at work. 

The redness has subsided a bit. It doesn't look quite as angry as it did on Saturday.   If past experiences tell me anything, the rash will be gone by day 4 of Diflican - which isn't until Tuesday.   However, my past rashes weren't this severe and angry before I started treating.   



No comments: