Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Update

So I was pretty sick over night. Yesterday I fought to stay at work. Probably paid the price last night. I was doing pretty well, but decided on a whim to take some Night Time Delsym. Figured it would help me sleep and keep the coughing at bay over night. So I took the dose around 8pm. Around midnight, I woke up burning up. I thought that I had turned up my electric blanket so I checked it. It was OFF. Apparently I was so hot that I turned it off in my sleep. There are 10 levels on my blanket and I generally sleep with it on level 3 or 4. Sometimes hotter and sometimes cooler, but mostly 4. So I was shocked when it was OFF.

I decided to check my temperature and was a little stunned when I saw it say 100.5. I decided to wait 30 minutes to recheck and as I laid there ... I got hotter and hotter. When I rechecked it hit the 102 mark. I decided it was time to go ahead and take Tylenol. I went ahead and got a bottled water and Tylenol thinking that soon I'd be able to go back to sleep. Well by 2am, my temperature had reached a shocking 103.5. I stumbled into the kitchen to get a cool wet cloth for my body. I knew I had to take care of that fever quickly, but I can't take Motrin. Motrin makes my eyes swell up. It may help with the fever, but the last time I took Motrin I wound up at the Urgent Care getting a Steroid Shot.

I argued with myself over whether to use the Motrin or not and in the end decided that I would hold off. I continued to check. At 3:30am, it was 104.6. At this point I was pretty much out of it trying to sip water. Throughout all of this, I talked out loud to God. I knew He was with me. I knew He wouldn't give me more than I could handle. I remember asking for him to take away the fever. Somewhere around 4, I essentially passed out and woke at 5am when my alarm went off. I felt the coolness of the sweat and knew my fever broke.

Needless to say, I will be starting those antibiotics because I haven't gotten any better and all the factors my doctor said to watch out for started. I'm so glad to be alive. I'm so glad to be alive. Praise God I'm still alive.

No comments: